Stay Up to Date
Receive Bicycle Friendly America news delivered straight to your inbox every other week.
How To: Celebrate Bike Month
Bike Month is always a great time to think about going for a bike ride! Okay, every month is a great month to think about bike riding...but “Bike Month” marks an official celebration of the joy bikes bring us year-round and a proclamation to continue the work of building a Bicycle Friendly America for everyone.
This month, challenge yourself and others to bike a little bit farther and encourage friends, family, colleagues and neighbors to bike a little bit at all. In fact, if we could get just one person inspired to make riding a bike a bigger part of their everyday life, we’d consider that a successful Bike Month!
To celebrate Bike Month in 2022, we’re jazzing up Bike Month by rolling out some new graphics and a few new challenges on our Bike Month Bingo card. Check them out on our resources page »
Take your bike places it’s never seen or take your bike places you’d usually see by car. Whatever you do, just #bikethere. Trust us, your next trip is more possible by bike than you think! Plus, the more people get out and riding bikes, the more we can show our leaders why making it easier and safer to be on a bike is so important to so many people.
Bike Month 2022 Calendar:
- Sunday, May 1st is National Ride a Bike Day! The day is annually held on the first Sunday of every Bike Month. To celebrate, simply ride your bike – short distance, long-distance, solo or with a friend! Just get out and get on a bike! Read more about National Ride a Bike Day »
- Wednesday, May 4th is Walk, Bike and Roll to School Day! Promoted by Safe Routes to School in coordination with Bike Month.
- Monday, May 16th-Sunday, May 22nd is Bike to Work Week and Friday, May 20th is Bike to Work Day! Take part in Bike to Work Day events by biking to work, joining group rides, hosting breakfast stations and more. Making an effort to #bikethere doesn't have to start or end at biking to work! Pair your bike trip with transit. If you're working from home you can even bike the route to your establishment before or after work. Retired or not working? Bike to run an errand. The possibilities are endless.
- Ride a bike any day in May! Can’t ride on National Ride a Bike Day, Walk Bike and Roll to School Day or Bike to Work Day? Ride some other day! In fact, you should try to hop on the saddle any chance you get. You can never experience too much bike joy!
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH IN 30 SECONDS
- Celebrate Bike Month on social media and invite your friends and family and neighbors to get out and ride! Participating in the National Bike Challenge? Use social media to share photos and celebrate you or your team's milestones. This year, we’re jazzing up Bike Month with new graphics! Use our Bike Month social media toolkit for sample posts and social media graphics and download other promotional materials such as posters, our Bike Month bingo card and more here.
- May is #BikeMonth. Let’s celebrate bike joy: the physical and mental well-being biking brings us and the power of being on a bike that unites us all. #bikethere all this month!
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH IN 5 MINUTES
- Register for the National Bike Challenge! The National Bike Challenge is an excellent opportunity for beginner riders to start logging their bike miles as part of a collective competition. It’s also a great platform for regular riders to rack up the miles and compete against each other. The National Bike Challenge is for everyone and anyone!
Participating is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Ride for 10 minutes or more or less
- Recruit friends, family and colleagues to ride
- Win prizes!!
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH IN 15 MINUTES
- Connect with local Bike To Work Week events, May 16-22, and Bike To Work Day events, May 20. Find your local bike advocacy organization on the League’s Bike Map.
- Become a League member! Help us grow the movement for a Bicycle Friendly America that will allow everyone to ride bikes every day and join the League »
- Subscribe to the League on YouTube and watch some of our NEW Smart Cycling videos to get the confidence in your biking skills you need to #BikeThere during Bike Month!
HOW TO CELEBRATE BIKE MONTH IN AN HOUR
- Discover other local advocacy organizations and groups to connect with during Bike Month. We map it out so you can bike it out! Many people aren’t aware of the Bicycle Friendly America awardees located right in their own neighborhood. Use the League’s Bike Map to find bike clubs, bike advocacy organizations, local bike shops, and other bike-centric organizations near you.
- Get inspired by the League Cycling Instructors spreading #BikeJoy across the country by reading our spotlight blogs »
- Explore the Bicycle Friendly Communities, Businesses, and Universities on our Bicycle Friendly America Map and learn how to become an advocate in your community for better biking »
- Meet our 2022 Advocacy and Education Award winners, honored at the 2022 National Bike Summit. Check out the work they are doing to shape a future better for bicycling and look forward to bike side chats the League will be recording with each recipient during Bike Month! »
- Go for a long bike ride!
HERE ARE JUST FIVE WAYS YOU CAN #BIKETHERE!
- Forgotten grocery items? Bike to the store!
- Need a new read? Bike to the library!
- Catching up with a friend over a meal? Bike to the restaurant!
- Take the train to work? Bike to the station!
- Hate fitting cardio into your workout? Bike to the gym!
DON’T OWN A BIKE?
- Bike share is another option for those who want to #bikethere but don't have access to a bike of their own or those who combine their bike rides with other transportation modes like transit, car-share or walking. Using apps like Transit App can help you find bike share systems near you and bike availability.
- Last year, transit systems like the County of Lackawanna Transit System and Southern California’s Metrolink offered free rides to bicyclists during National Bike to Work Week! Check your local transit’s website or contact to ask about upcoming plans.
As always, we’ll be sharing more ways to enjoy biking throughout the month of May! Sign up for our newsletter and we’ll keep you posted on all our upcoming actions and activities.