Stay Up to Date
Receive Bicycle Friendly America news delivered straight to your inbox every other week.
Federal Budget Released
On Monday, February 1, the Obama Administration Released its budget for 2011. Highlights from the Transportation section include:
- Transportation gets slight increase in spending
- $527 million for livability partnership (with HUD giving $150 million and EPA contributing $10 million)
- for capacity building and transportation projects
- “local quality of life is a universal challenge”
- $4 Billion dollar infrastructure bank (New York Times Energy and Environment)
- $30 million would establish a federal transit safety oversight program
- $ 1 billion a year for high speed rail funding
- Commits to develop long term solutions to financing and performance
- Administration seeks to integrate economic analysis and performance measurement in transportation planning to ensure tax dollars better targeted and spent.
- Needs a program that "increases options, promotes s sustainable environment, and makes our economy more productive."
- States funding transportation with gas tax is unsustainable. Does not suggest alternative.
View the Department of Transportation Funding Highlights here.
The full USDOT Budget can be viewed at www.dot.gov/budget/2010/2011budgethighlights.pdf.
Visit the Federal Budget Fact Sheet and the Federal Budget Department of Transportation Fact Sheet for further information.