Stay Up to Date
Receive Bicycle Friendly America news delivered straight to your inbox every other week.
Education Video Series: Bike Helmets
Wearing a bike helmet improperly is the equivalent to not wearing a helmet at all.
To help keep those helmets fitting snuggly, we've produced a how-to video as part of our 19-part education video series. Every Monday, we'll be highlighting one of these videos on the blog -- we've already looked at "fitting and adjusting" your bike and "how to choose a bike." Take a look:
- Place it on your head without fastening the straps
- There should be a two-fingers width between your eyebrows and helmet
- There should be little movement when you shake your head from side to side
- You will want to start out with the smallest size– you may have to try on different sizes and brands of helmets until you find one that fits
Adjusting Your Helmet:
- The side straps should come to a point just below your ears forming a “Y” shape
- When your mouth is closed, there should be about half an inch between the chin strap and your chin