Bicycle Friendly Communities
Becoming a Bicycle Friendly Community℠
Bicycling is more than a practical, cost-effective solution to many municipal challenges. It’s an opportunity to make your community a vibrant destination for residents and visitors — a place where people don’t just live and work, but thrive.
Learn about the 2022 BFC Updates on our blog and in our recent webinars:
- Monday, June 27 Webinar Recording and chat: General Overview of BFC Application Updates
- Wednesday, June 29 Webinar Recording and chat: Introduction to the BFC Program
- Thursday, June 30 Webinar Recording and chat: Deep-Dive into BFC Equity Updates
communities have applied
BFCs are currently certified (as of December 2021)
people have given feedback on bicycling in applicant communities
- FIND BICYCLE FRIENDLY COMMUNITIES NEAR YOU
- READ ABOUT THE LATEST ROUND OF BICYCLE FRIENDLY COMMUNITIES (updated 12/8/21)
- The BFC Application is Open for Submissions!
- DISCOVER RESOURCES FOR BUILDING A BICYCLE FRIENDLY COMMUNITY
- FAQs and Resources about the League's Announcement on Removing 'Enforcement' from the 5E Framework
The Bicycle Friendly Community program provides a roadmap to improving conditions for bicycling and guidance to help make your community's vision for a better, bikeable community a reality. The infographic below provides a snapshot of key metrics from Bicycle Friendly Communities in 2003. Similar information is available on all recent report cards.
A BFC welcomes bicyclists by providing safe accommodations for bicycling and encouraging people to bike for transportation and recreation. Making bicycling safe and convenient are keys to improving public health, reducing traffic congestion, improving air quality and improving quality of life.
“It built recognition of what we have done, which helps getting funding for the very long list of what we still have to do. Having the honor actually made it easier for us to give a frank assessment of where we lag and help build political support for future phases.”
Director of Planning and Development, Northampton, MA
“We knew this recognition would be important to our civic and business leaders, and that the metrics set out in the League’s application would be important measures for us.”
Bike Long Beach
Active People, Healthy Nation is an HHS service mark. Use of Active People, Healthy NationSM does not imply review, approval, or endorsement by HHS.
Become a subscriber
Stay updated with the League's biweekly E-news
Become a Member
Join us in making biking better across the country.
why join »