In 2009, women took just 24 percent of bicycle trips in the U.S. It's time for that to change. That's why the League launched Women Bike -- the first national advocacy initiative to empower, engage and elevate more women bicyclists in the United States.
Click here to JOIN the movement!
As the energy and momentum around women cycling grows nationwide, we need to share our collective knowledge, build a network of female leaders and start working on targeted programs that put more women in the saddle and at the forefront of the movement.
And right now, we need your help to keep the momentum going. Please take a few minutes to share your stories and work around women and equity in bicycling. With this survey, we hope to identify other successful initiatives and the types of resources that would be most helpful, in addition to benchmarking key demographics among cycling organizations. Click here to take the suvey!
Photo: Leaders from New York City at the National Women's Bicycling Forum
What Will Women Bike Do?
Women Bike will empower more women to bicycle and become engaged in the diverse leadership opportunities of the bicycle movement -- as advocates, engineers, retailers, manufacturers and policy makers -- through networking, knowledge sharing, resources and inspiration.
Women Bike will:
- bring together women bicyclists and leaders at key meetings like the National Bike Summit and Interbike. *Click here for the program and speakers at the second annual National Women's Bicycling Forum, held March 4, 2013*
- share stories, successes new ideas on women's bicycling through blogs, e-news, webinars and social media *Click here for our past and upcoming webinars!*
- become an information clearinghouse for advocates, retailers, media and the public related to information on women and bicycling in the US *Click here for blogs related to women and bicycling*
- compile current resources and best practices related to engaging and elevating more women in bicycling -- and create new resources for advocates, retailers and the public aimed at getting more women riding *Click here for our resources page and stay tuned for our first report coming out this May*
- encourage and support more women to become bicycle educators and League Cycling Instructors in their diverse communities
- support local grassroots and important women cycling initiatives through technical assistance and micro-grants
*Click here for more information about our latest grant to the Women & Bicycles initiative*
- work to increase and diversify media coverage and visibility of women bicyclists and bicycling leaders
- support women’s leadership development and work to increase the prominence and recognition of women leaders in all aspects of the movement
- build bridges between the bicycle movement and other women's issues, including health, parenting and social justice
*Click here for more information about the League's new Equity Advisory Council*
Photo: Felicia Williams (left) and other participants at the 2012 National Women's Bicycling Summit. Credit Maureen McGinnis
By 2050, American women will ride their bikes at the same rates as American men, for transportation, recreation and fitness.
Click here to sign up for our e-newsletter.
Stay tuned to this webpage for upcoming announcments about Women Bike programs, contests, events, webinars and more!
Questions? Ideas? Contact Carolyn Szczepanski at firstname.lastname@example.org