Stay Up to Date
Receive Bicycle Friendly America news delivered straight to your inbox every other week.
Canada Gets Bicycle-Friendly, Eh!
The third annual Ontario Bike Summit -- Moving Ontario Forward – Building Bicycle Friendly Communities -- has been taking place the past two days in Ottawa. The theme is right-on too. Ontario's Share the Road organization has been working to incorporate the Bicycle Friendly Community program into their region, and the summit is a means to get more cities and advocates in Ontario involved. Because the Bicycle Friendly Community program is new to Canada, the summit's purpose was to teach advocates how to:
- Develop a community cycling master plan
- Work more effectively with local governments to advance cycling
- Use data and research that will help “make the case” for enhanced cycling investments and programs
- Learn about the infrastructure, education and awareness and legislative policies in Ontario to encourage cycling
- Learn from example what other communities are doing in the areas of law enforcement initiatives – education and awareness – public health ideas, bicycle tourism?
Also in theme with the Summit, several Ontario Bicycle Friendly Communities were announced: Ottawa – Silver; Waterloo – Silver; Ajax – Bronze; Windsor – Bronze.
Find out more by following the live content from Ontario's Cycle Citizen.