We cannot create a Bicycle Friendly America℠ on our own.
Every time you ride a bike you are helping our Bicycle Friendly America℠ program. We want to make sure you have the best resources to transform your community, workplace, campus and state into one which can be recognized by us as Bicycle Friendly℠ . Receiving such nationwide recognition by the League demonstrates measurable success in achieving goals of the BF℠ program, and also helps us provide public awareness of bicycling issues.
Here are some tools to help your local and state efforts through the BFA℠ program.
If you have questions on how to use any of the below-mentioned tools, please give us a call 202-822-1333.
The BFC, BFB, BFU, and BFS programs are combined into one booklet.
The BFA booklet is designed to give advocates, elected officials, business leaders, students, and university administrators a comprehensive look at the BFA programs. A visual and written tour of the four programs, the small booklet also includes a brief self-assessment tool to evaluate the bicycle-friendliness of your community, business, or university.
There are multiple ways to distribute the BFA booklet and scorecard:
- The BFA Booklet is available directly from the League of American Bicyclists®. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-822-1333 to request your desired quantities. There is room on the booklet to place contact information for the state or local organization.
- The booklet is available above for download and print. Print your desired quantities and place a local organization sticker on the back of the booklet.
- Request an .eps version of the BFA booklet from the League. Your local organization is responsible for incorporating your logo on the booklet where room allows and for the printing costs. Content should remain unchanged. Send your request for the booklet in an editable PDF format to Alison@bikeleague.org.
Promoting the BFA programs on your website is a terrific way of highlighting the success stories in your area (i.e. awarded businesses, communities, and universities). Using your website as a connector for all your local or regional BFA awardees makes for a more robust bicycle-friendly network.
We encourage you to follow these guidelines:
- Information and language regarding the BFA program should be taken directly from the League's website: bicyclefriendlyamerica.org
- When using the BFA programs to help promote bicycling within your region, we ask that you highlight the League's ownership of the program and our partnership with the state/local organization. We ask you to incorporate the following:
When the Bicycle Friendly Community/Business/University/State program is first mentioned on your website, list it as "The League of American Bicyclists’ Bicycle Friendly Business program" (or Community, or University, or State)
and provide the link to the League's website.
- Include the Bicycle Friendly Community/Business/University/State logo, provided on our website, on your web page and link to the League's program page: http://www.bikeleague.org/content/bicycle-friendly-america
Hosting a BFA presentation is a cost effective and efficient way of distributing information about any of the four programs. This could be done onsite or through a webinar by a local advocate, League staff, or both. Organization of a BFA presentation is easy and is a great way to bring together various local partners and build momentum.
Download an overview of the BFA program or a presentation specific to BFB, BFC, or BFU below or request a copy in PowerPoint format, email email@example.com. The presentations are each about 10-15 minutes in length with the script and can be presented at your convenience.
Organize a webinar for your region with a League representative by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your input to the BFA programs is invaluable. These programs would not be as successful as they are without help from local advocates. We encourage you to be part of the review and award process to create a more comprehensive picture of the BFC, BFB, and BFU applications we receive from your area.
Sign up to be a local reviewer for the BFA program. You will be notified of all BFA applicants in your state and asked for your help in evaluating the communities, businesses, and universities.